Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

It's New, It's P.O.S., It's "Never Better"

"Never Better" is the first project from P.O.S. since 2006's "Audition". I am a huge fan of "Audition" so I was anxious to hear something new from P.O.S.

His punchy/angry delivery is still ever present. He viciously attacks his lyrics. The punk rock edge from previous albums ... it's there. And you know what? I like the punk edge. I like my beats and one some tracks there are beats and on others there is other instrumentation to work around. But the punk edge, yeah, I can do that. The only track where the punk rock influence was not my most enjoyable was "Drum Roll". But I think I'll give it another listen.

On "Goodbye", there's a catchy hook and it's just a likable track. Kind of a motivating too. Another track that stood out for me was "The Basics". It reminded me of "Half-Cocked Concepts" and "Stand Up" from "Audition". It has a crazy humming chorus and heavy drums.

There are 15 tracks on this one ... and worth the three year wait ... I'd say so.

I'd also bet that P.O.S. will be performing at Soundset '09 - a huge outdoor hip hop festival. Of course he'll be there - it's in his home town of Minneapolis, oh, and it's hosted by Rhymesayers. Mark you calendars for Memorial Day Weekend. But if you can't wait that long, then you won't have to as P.O.S. is set to tour starting at the beginning of February. Catch him at Skully's Music Diner in Columbus or The Grog Shop in Cleveland.
P.O.S.'s "Never Better" is just that, but you'll never know hip hoppers if you don't check it out. kfox.

NOTE: Thanks to the folks at Spectre for letting me get a peak at this before the release date.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.O.S.: Never Better — The Best Hip-Hop Album of 2009. http://tinyurl.com/av86ev

8:44 PM  
Blogger ohradiogirl said...

I hear ya homie.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mad skillz, yaw. i should put this music up my site http://pacosmuchodineros.com/.

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home