Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Common's "Universal Mind Control"

I do like Common. I'd say I'm a fan, and I am, but I am not the biggest fan. I know there are some stalwarts out there who can outdo me in the fan category. But I would stand in line in the cold for an hour and wait for a FREE ticket to a show. How's that for a little schutzpah?

But nevermind, we all like good music and that's the point.

I wanted to focus particularly on the music and video for the single "Universal Mind Control" which comes from Common's newly released disk of the same name.

Before I got a chance to listen to the track, it was mentioned that the tune has the vibe of Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock". Now, what you don't know about me is that if I were stranded on an island and could only have one song, "Planet Rock" would be that joint! I only wish I had heard that comment after I'd listened to the song.



I can feel just a twinge of "Planet Rock" in "UMC". But I sort of hear more of Common's "Go". Maybe it's the uptempo pace. But unlike "Go," whose lyrics I did not like, I am feeling "UMC". It also shows some growth in Common as an artist. He could go w/more of the same. But it seems he's building on his career nicely. That seems to be the case for all of the G.O.O.D. Music guys: Kanye and John Legend among them.

So now I need to go and cop the full "UMC" disk. Keep it legal hip hoppers. kfox.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home