Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Thursday, March 30, 2006

No apathy, just lots of good hip hop!

Back in action...only not all that is happenin in the indy hip hop world. Well, that's not quite the way it is, but that's what I'm going to call it because I don't have a wealth to report on this week.
Just a handfull of items...new music from Apathy and Up Above Records as well as the ever popular WMCO Hip Hop music chart.

First, Apathy: A few weeks ago, a package arrived in the mail with several cds from Apathy. His latest project is called "Eastern Philosophy." It is HOT! As Randy from "American Idol" would say "We got a hot one, bay-bee!" Enough hype, let me tell you what is real. The Apathy cd deserves props because he comes correct. Good rhymes, good beats with sort of a jazzy, but definitely old school vibe. Tracks I'm lovin right now are the title track, "1,000 Grams," and "All About Crime."

The Up Above Records compilation totally took me by surprise. I don't know why I finally listened to it (keep in mind, I get about 60-75 cds delivered to my office on a weekly basis - so if a cd does not stand out and I don't receive a call about it sometimes they get trapped as a part of these mini cd towers on my desk), but whoa...it is truly the shiz-nit! Shut up and listen. The strength is in the lyrics. But there are so many plusses. They have some crazy talent lacin up the joint...Prince Po, Visionaries, and tons of others. Just go to Amazon.com and put in a request to get that joint when it is available to all in the next few weeks.

My last item, which needs no real explanation is the WMCO 90.7 Hip Hop Chart for this week. If only the residents of east central Ohio knew what a sweet treat they have for their listening pleasure right in their backyard...

Here are the current hip hop chart toppers @ WMCO:

1
DEVELOP[MENTAL]1
"VARIOUS ARTISTS"

2
SERGIO MENDES
"TIMELESS"

3
J DILLA
"DONUTS"

4
DJ CAM
"REVISITED BY..."

5
P.O.S.
"AUDITION"

6
FIVE DEEZ
"KOMMUNICATOR"

7
PUBLIC ENEMY
"REBIRTH OF A NATION"

8
SOUL POSITION
"THINGS GO BETTER WITH RJ AND AL"

9
APATHY
"EASTERN PHILOSOPHY"

10
DILATED PEOPLES
"20/20"

yo hip hoppers ... stay true, kfox
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home