Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

...and the winner is


...Three 6 Mafia! How awesome is that...? Too many folks are befuddled after that one. But I believe that seeing the making of the song, as was witnessed in the movie "Hustle and Flow," gave many in the Academy a look at how the meat is made... Who would've thunk that a real tried and true, thugged out group like Three 6 Mafia from Memphis, TN would have an Oscar in the cache? Love that, yeah....

Oh, and their performance...! The performance had to have the tight suited near strangulation, eh? But it is the Oscars and that's what they do: have the nominated songs performed by the nominated artists. Good stuff...

One more note...this year's Oscar host, Jon Stewart was on Oprah the day after the Oscar's and when she asked him what was his fav moment, he said, when Three 6 Mafia won! He said they brought some much needed exuberance to the show. I had a chance to see some pre and post performance footage where the guys were threaded up in their Armani suits with their platinum grills - they clean up quite nicely. It's true, I'm thrilled for their achievement.

What else is good...? "Dave Chappelle's Block Party." I had read some reviews and I thought that folks were merely blowing up the spot. I am typically leary when the masses give props to almost anything. However, folks were on the mark with this one. Though no one quite prepared me for Lauryn Hill's performance of The Fugees classic "Killing Me Softly." Freaking outstanding! Chappelle is crazy. His humor is endearing and his presence leaves me anticipating what is next for him. I am soooo feenin for the DVD right now. I already have the soundtrack, which is cool, but I am hopeful that the DVD will have lots of the ever popular 'never-before-seen' footage. The groups that are spotlighted in the movie are all my favs - like Chappelle: Mos Def, Common, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, The Roots, The Fugees, Kanye West, Cody Chestnutt, Big Daddy Kane and a few others. Really good stuff. I only wish I could have actually attended the performance in Bed Sty in September, 2004. That joint needs an encore.

Enough for now...much love and hip hop for life, bee-...!!

kfox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home