Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bottom Brick's "The Groundbreaking"

I get lots of emails with asking me to review music. Actually, it's a bit flattering as well as overwhelming. There's no rhyme or reason as to why I open one email and not another. That was the case when I received an email last week about Bottom Brick.

Visit Bottom Brick's MySpace page for more info.

This is a bit of a mellowed out project and I should add that it's not a new project. The fact that it's not new is not a big deal because it's new to me and it sounds good. Add to that that they are home boys - from the buckeye state! Love that.

It's a 16 track package and it did grab my attention from the beginning with "The Stick Up". "The Stick Up's" got a bit of a throwback feel to it. Definitely not like the empty music of today's radio hits. But that's the intentional flow of indy hip hop, right?

I like that I can listen to most of this project w/o skipping tracks. "Science" and "Sixth Sense" are two songs that stood out for me. "Science" had some beats that were ear catching and a tight flow among the three members. "Sixth Sense" has that middle of the road pace w/a little edginess and a sense of urgency in the delivery.

Hip hoppers, show some support for the indy's out here. Give a little, get a little. kfox.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Hip Hop Octopus said...

What up! Love your blog - sometimes I get really tired of rap music but the indy scene never fails to disappoint me. Currently lovin' DOOM's new album. If I were you, I would be very happy to get an email asking for a review on my blog :) Keep up the good work.

8:10 PM  
Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Thanks for the love. I like Doom's stuff, so I will check it out.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Home Audio said...

Bottom Brick's video for "The Stick Up":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0leB8kJBJg4

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home