Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Mumbls "Spellbound"

Mumbls "Spellbound"


I'm in a bit of a dilemma as it relates to Mumbls' "Spellbound." I digs mostly everything that comes to my inbox from Audible Treats. But this Mumbls was and is a bit of good and bad thing, in my opinion. So instead to brushing it off, I thought, why not say what rubbed me the wrong way about this track.

But first let me say, that the tempo of the track is nice; laidback. His flow works for the track too: he sounds comfortable and experienced. In some ways he's crafty; in some ways he's immature.

The lyrics, though, caught my attention. Interestingly, I don't consider myself a prude - or maybe I am - but there's some language on the song that just jumped out at me. Immediately reminded me of the early days of Too Short; who, mind you, I listened to w/out cringing. So why did I cringe when Mumbls says the raw version of breasts? Who knows? I just ask myself: what does he gain by using those words? Does it make him appear to be more of a man. Again,who knows? And it should be noted that I can and do use my fair share of profanity at any given moment, so again, why did his lyrics strike me on this track?

At the end of the day, I'll give Mumbls "Spellbound" a pass simply because it's a good track. There's more that I like about it than what I don't like about it.
Go ahead hip hoppers, get "Spellbound." kfox.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home