Indy Hip Hop World

"A setback is just a setup for a comeback." --from Bebe Moore Campbell's "72 Hour Hold"

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Who got game ... ?

Yo, hip hoppers ... are you with me? Are you too, the proud owner of The Roots' latest cd? Oh, yeah, I'm all about it and I'll get right to it.

I could not believe that I'd heard nearly half of "Game Theory" prior to its official release - but now, I feel like I'm a part of the 'in' crowd because somehow, some way that IS the case. My ears had already been privy to "Dilltastic Vol Won(derful)," "Game Theory," "Don't Feel Right," "In the Music," "Here I Come," and "Clock With No Hands." Love all of those, but "Here I Come" is the finest! That song has a lot of heart and energy and it features Dice Raw, who sometimes guests with the crew. Now, despite what some critics say, Black Thought, The Roots' lead guy, is da bomb. His lyrical skills are incomparable. But I guess that is disputable and and I'm ready for that discussion even on the most miserable and stressed out day. Love Black Thought.

Of the tracks that I had not heard, I like "False Media." Which is weird. You see, I have a tendency to like mucic that slaps the media on the wrist for pushing poor content, yet, the media is the biz that butters my bread ... yet, I'd like to think I work for media outlets that strive for the greater good of all humans ... (I'm also here to see if I can make you chuckle - would you say mission accomplished ...?).

Back to the contents of "Game Theory." "Take It There" is pretty cool and enlists the talent of Wadud Ahmad. Its message music and very nice. Interestingly enough, much of this disk is socially conscious.

The Roots' debut disk on Def Jam continues the groups legacy in terms of track listings ... the tracks begin @ 114. I was expecting more diatribe from ?uestlove in the liner notes, but it was just typical shout outs mostly. However, what is different about the cd is they've included the lyrics to the tracks, which is kinda cool.

Oh, a few more things ... the "Game Theory" cd on iTunes was going for, what, $11.99 AND included a bonus track "Butter My Bread." Now your girl copped her disk @ the local Wal-Mart (no bonus tracks for me) AND I got the last one! What IS up with that? I just happened to call @ about 8 a.m. on Tuesday morning and the clerk said "I could only find one copy." Let me find out that the rural Ohioans are bumpin my boys ... What!? Again, what is that all about? Then there are those cool kids who decided to pre-order "Game Theory" from the Okayplayer webbie. Nice move since most of those folks had the disk in hand @ some point on Monday.

I'll be pumping this for some time. I think I am also gravitating toward the tried and true Roots fan club. I have been tracking them quite nicely these past few days. Caught them performing early on Saturday morning on CBS Saturday Early Morning. Also, saw them on the Late Show with David Letterman. They killed it on Letterman and boy did they look delicious! All of them were sporting suits. Good stuff. And thanks for CBS for all the love.

I still see that The Roots are scheduled to perform on Cleveland on Saturday, September 30, 2006 @ Case Western Reserve University. I need the scoop on that joint. I have a call in the PR office to see they will permit non-CWRU Roots fans to sneak a peek. I mean, don't they know that when the Legendary Roots crew is within a 200 mile radius of my locale, I am so there ...?

I could go on and on ... just make sure you get to check out "Game Theory" so that you too can be 'bout it baby! Stay true, kfox

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever find out if us non Case Students can attend the 9/30 show? Let me know. terrence-wilson@earthlink.net

8:43 AM  
Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Checkin on the details of the non-CWRU possibility. It does exist. Tix are $10, but are not yet on sale to the public. I'll post the details as soon as I get them. Thanks for inquiring.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nowwwwwww ..... you can listen to music with best lyrics at the website:
https://songlyricsaz.mobi/the-catch-up-lyrics-16851.html
https://songlyricsaz.mobi/started-from-the-bottom-lyrics-16850.html

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home